Online church is not a substitute for real relationships... it enhances, streamlines, improves, adds fuel to the physical relationships you already have, and gives you the opportunity to meet others across the globe in authentic online community. It's both.
Whether talking about Online Church or a Megachurch, give me 5 friends I can do life with and share a mission with and we can take on the world.... literally. My "church" starts with the 5 people closest to me (not in a pew) but in my 24/7 life. Here's what I believe:
- Intentionality matters in what we believe and in our relationships. When my wife and I meet with our closest friends, they are "the church" to me.... They challenge me, hold me accountable, want what's best for me, and push me in my faith.
- Online church can be the glue that keeps these 5 friends focused, on mission, encouraged, able to collaborate with others, share teaching, and more.
- A physical church can be the glue that keeps these 5 friends focused, on mission, encouraged, able to collaborate with others, share teaching, and more.
- Yep, I just repeated myself.
- A big physical church becomes small with these 5 friends.
- I love the connection to a larger 'church' but experience the richest parts of life and faith in my 'small church' of close friends.
- The church needs a revolution. Scores of people believe in God but don't see the need for church. We can and must do better. Love God but don't care for "the church"? Start by 'being' what you think the 'church' should be and invite some friends along the way...
Wherever you are in the globe, you can start changing your community with a few friends. Our vision is to help resource you, bring teaching, services, strategies for local missions, and anything that can help you take your next step toward Christ.... online. Let's connect, learn from each other, and share as we make it happen!
- Rather than attending a physical church building to "do" church, we offer an online experience (currently with 3 service times on Sunday's 12, 6:30, and 8:30 PM EST) where you can attend with others from all over the world, chat with them, take notes, give, send prayer requests and more. It also allows you connect with others attending through Twitter or Facebook or simply remain annonymous. For many, they think Online Church ends there... in reality, it is so much more...
- Any opportunity we have to "be" the Church, grow in our faith, learn, connect with others, and continue to take steps online IS Online Church
- Reading the Bible using youversion.com (or other online Bible offerings) is Online Church
- Connecting with others in Facebook and Twitter looking for opportunities to encourage, pray for, find ways to help, and more is Online Church
- Creating a personalized spiritual growth plan through a tool like Monvee.com is Online Church
- Having an online meeting or small group through a tool like tokbox.com is Online Church
- Nearly every morning while we're getting ready in our bathroom my wife is playing various podcasts she downloaded from the web with some of the greatest teachers in the world....is Online Church
- Having a discussion in an online forum is Online Church
- Collaborating with a mission and giving to a Haiti Earthquake relief effort with others online is Online Church
- Training future leaders in the Church via Online Web players/viewers is Online Church
- Connecting people from all over the globe to central online sites of training and teaching so they can in turn be a force in their local communities is Online Church
- Creating a central point of a local missional strategy online where multiple "physical" churches can unite and bring real change to their community is Online Church
- To connect and learn with other countries, races, and cultures across the globe online to breakdown the divides that so often creates mistrust is.... Online Church
It's yes, and yes, and yes. Online Church is more than a quick substitute to check some box that says "I went to church this week". Online Church is about "being" the Church 24/7, leveraging the technology available to us today to maximize personal growth, global collaboration and communication, and meeting people where they already are (1.5 billion and growing online).
Can you do Church Online? What do you think?