3 main reasons why we stay lonely:
- We're hiding. Guilt and shame has left us in a place where we may not feel worthy or are simply embarrassed. The grace of God allows people to love us despite who we are in our flaws. He offers us freedom from our screw-ups.
- We're mad. Anger and bitterness has brought us to a place where we don't want to be in relationship with others and/or we've simply aliented the people around us. Sometimes we're angry at God and wonder why He allows bad things to happen in our lives... There is nothing like the doubt that comes from sorrow. Psalm 34:18 "He is close to the brokenhearted and the crushed in spirit..." God lives in the gallows.... He's closest to us where we are most broken, where we've fallen.
- We're afraid. Fear can make you doubt the motives of the people around you from family, to neighbors, employers, and doctors which can continue to a lonely place. God offers us a trade. What we have in our brown paper bag for what He has in His.
God offers us an unending buffet in his bag yet there are people who insist on staying isolated with their bologna sandwich bag. We all belong to Christ... He's constantly looking for those of us who are lost and lonely.
Consequences to being lonely? More likely to die young because of affects on the immune system, high blood pressure, infections, and insomnia. Don't settle for isolation, your emotional and physical health depends on it!
- Are you struggling with guilt or shame? Anger and bitterness? Fear?
- Do you have questions or anger towards God for something that's happened in your life?
- Is there someone you know you can reach out to that's alone?
We were not meant to be alone. God has a great purpose and plan for all of us. We belong to Him.
Jesus, please help us to continue to take steps and free us from our loneliness.