Hey God, here's Your to-do list... let me lay it out for you.... I want to go to my dream school, so I can get my dream job, to get my dream car, meet my dream spouse, get my dream house, have my dream kids, take dream vacations, have a wealthy dream retirement.... and when it comes to it... I want the dream death so I'll live eternally happily ever after.
And right now God.... You seem to be dropping the ball on My Plan.... what's up?
If I really look at my days, my weeks, or my to-do lists.... I can drift into this warped thinking. Uh, who am I making God here? As Rob Wegner discussed this past weekend:
- THE LORDSHIP SLIP: Assuming God’s role is to help me accomplish my “dream” life
The goal is to shift from asking God to fit in my story to have my life fit in a much bigger story…. God’s story.
- God's story is called shalom, where things are the way God wants them to be
- In the midst of our rat race trying to accomplish our competing dreams, God calls out "shalom"
- Shalom is the way things ougth to be
Clearly things aren't the way they should be in our world:
- UNICEF says there are 2 million children in the sex trade
- Every 6 seconds, some child dies of malnutrition
- While God's perfect plan is a beautiful tapestry, clearly there are frayed lives everywhere
The religious treadmill: We see a broken world, we feel guilty, we help someone out to make a difference, we don't feel guilty anymore, we hope God is happy and then gives us what we want in our dreams.
We have the opportunity today to engage in the broken, dark places in our world....to bring shalom.
Have you been on the religious treadmill?
What dark place in your community or what relationship in your life can you bring shalom to this week?
What step do you need to take to realign your dreams to God's perfect plan?